Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Gastroenterologists Unite

Yesterday I finished My Cousin, My Gastroenterologist by Mark Leyner.

I am now reading Factotum which has no plot (disclaimer: I'm only a quarter through... I've read other Bukowski) but MC,MG goes beyond that by having no scenes and no characters (at least in the same sense F has no plot.) It was a puzzling book, at times simply fascinating... but never at any point did I sense any narrative, I found no story arc.

This makes me want to read it again to see what I missed, partially because I really like things that appear to be nothing but are, upon further review, just as full, intricate and carefully wrought as widely acknowledged classics of old.

Curious, the book title on it's Amazon page is "My Cousin, My Gastroenterologist: A novel" but the Editorial Review from Publisher's Weekly starts "These 17 loosely linked short stories...." so I guess I'm the only one that's confused.