Sunday, December 11, 2005

Propagandhi

12/10/05, the Clubhouse Music Venue, Tempe, AZ

First off, I was happily surprised to see a big line outside the venue as a drove up. I had half expected this show to be fairly empty. I'm not sure if it sold out (capacity is something near 800) but it was close. I can't recall a show there that was this packed - and they showed up early, too.

Toys That Kill opened, I liked them better than when they opened for the Suicide Machines a few months back but still nothing that really grabbed me.

Greg MacPherson played next. It started out with just Greg playing guitar and singing. This was compelling on it's own... then on the third song a second guitars slowly worked his way in. A drummer was added soon after. I'm not sure how to describe the music, heavy singer/songwriter punk doesn't seem to make much sense. I'd note a passing resemblance to the Mission of Burma that was playing during the set breaks but that might do more harm than good. I was close to picking up a CD but I refrained.

Contrary to my expectations this was completely a Propagandhi crowd. The venue was packed and the crowd went nuts as they started. The first two songs were new but still got big reactions... though nothing compared to everybody singing along to "Less Talk, More Rock" I must say, that's just nutty. The lyrics are complex and full of big words that flow oddly... and the crowd just nailed them.

The crowd was wild, the Clubhouse has an elongated front crowd area so they could never quite develop a circle pit but there was still plenty of attempts. It's fun working hard to stand up, pulling people off the ground, watching folks hold up shoes and hats during song breaks.

The encore break was rather odd; they stopped for a moment to work on a bass and then just walked off stage. After a couple minutes they came back for the much-requested "Fuck the Border" and two more songs.

I can no longer remember any order (and I know either the new album nor the early material) but I do know they played "Haillie Sellasse, Up Your Ass," "Apparently I'm A PC Facist (Because I Care About Both Human And Non-)" with "Nailing Descartes to the Wall/(Liquid) Meat Is Still Murder," "...And We Thought That Nation-States Were A Bad Idea" and "Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes" also.

Very good show, very fun. I could've used better sound and possibly less sweat from other folks and it's too bad neither Chris Hannah nor John Samson are involved anymore but who am I to complain?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home