Thursday, August 10, 2006

Mellowdrone, Monsters are Waiting @ Modified

modwheelmood opened the show; their set was kinda like their songs; they took a while to get going, had some cool bits in the middle, then they kinda trailed off. There were three guys in the band; all played with pedals a lot, sometimes doing only that. The songs I enjoyed the most where the ones where they used the electric guitar and actually used it and the guy playing bass really played it and such. Also they covered "Home" by Depeche Mode.

Monsters Are Waiting played second. One of the guys was one of the founding members of Eve 6. But they were good. Really. All three bands sounded well matched, atmospheric indie rock; the vocalist at times reminded me of Karen O or Emily Haines in her stage demeanor (but certainly not Karen's vocal style.) I dunno. They never really flat out rocked but they built some pretty damned good songs. Oh yeah, also they covered "I Wanna Be Adored" and pulled it off.

Mellowdrone sounded fuller, better and more together than either opener. They knew what they were doing and they did it well. Again rather atmospheric but they brought more of the rock. I don't know. I'm tired. I don't know what I'm saying. I liked them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home